Our Mighty Groove Experienced dance performer call out
Seeking: Experienced dance performers who know how to GROOVE
Sadler’s Wells and Uchenna Dance are looking for experienced performers to join the cast of our upcoming immersive dance production, Our Mighty Groove.
Directed and choreographed by Vicki Igbokwe, Our Mighty Groove tells of the transformative power of the club dancefloor, and how people can feel empowered to be their authentic selves through dance.
We’re looking for exceptional, unique and talented performers from all walks of life to electrify the stage with their presence. They’ll work in the Uchenna signature dance style which fuses Waacking, Vogue and House with West African and Contemporary styles.
This new iteration of Our Mighty Groove is set to be the premiere production of Sadler’s Wells brand new venue, Sadler’s Wells East in Stratford, opening in Autumn 2023.
Founded by Igbokwe, Uchenna empowers, entertains, and educates through dance in a diverse programme including dance theatre production experiences like Our Mighty Groove.
To apply please fill in the form below. Deadline for applications: Monday 26 September 2022, 10am
Dates / Timeline
Please ensure you are available for all dates below before applying.
|20 + 21 Oct 2022||Audition Days|
|28 Oct 2022||Call back Audition|
|21 – 26 Nov 2022||Research & Development 1 / Cast Workshopping Process|
|30 Jan – 4 Feb 2023||Research & Development 2|
|2 Oct – 26 Nov 2023||Creation Period and Performances|
Expectations & Requirements
- Be highly skilled in at least one of the following styles and proficient (at a minimum) in the others: Waacking, Vogue, House, West-African, Contemporary
- Have some level of dance training (formally or informally)
- Have at least two years professional performing experience
- Be comfortable freestyling and improvising
- Pick up choreography quickly
- Be clean in their execution of movement
- Have creative flair
- Be able to explore and play through creative tasks as set by the choreographer
- Have excellent performance skills
- Have knowledge (at a minimum), interest and passion for the club scene
- Be able to work collaboratively in a team with a generous and open spirit
- Be based in England
- Have the right to work in the UK
- Your CV of no more than 2 pages
- Your headshot image
- A *film/video of you dancing/freestyling/improvising. Be in your element, show us who you are through your dance, groove, and flavour (up to 2 minutes).
- A 1-page document or a 3-minute **film/video telling us more about who you are (things not in your CV).
- Please also tell us:
– Why you’re interested in the project
– What your favourite colour is and how this shows up in your personality
*Films/videos should be shared via a Vimeo or YouTube link (or via any other similar video content platforms).
**Please note if you choose the 3-minute film/video option, please combine this with your 2-minute dancing video, total length: 5 minutes.
Deadline for applications: Monday 26 September 2022, 10am
Applicants will be paid above Equity minimum