About us

Sadler's Wells is a world-leading creative organisation dedicated to dance in all its forms. With over three centuries of theatrical heritage and a year-round programme of performances and learning activities, our mission is to make and share dance that inspires us all.

Our vision is to create, through dance, a depth of connection beyond borders, cultures and languages, so we see ourselves in each other.

Audiences of over half a million come to our London theatres each year, with many more enjoying our touring productions at venues across the UK and around the world, or accessing our content through digital channels.

Commissions and ground-breaking productions

Sadler's Wells commissions and presents more new dance work than any other theatre in the world, embracing the popular and the unknown. Since 2005, we have helped to bring over 170 new dance works to the stage, many of them involving our 16 Associate Artists, three Resident Companies and four Associate Companies – the most exciting talents working in dance today.

Artist development and support

Offering support to artists has always been a key part of Sadler’s Wells’ mission and is central to the future of dance as an artform. We give the next generation of artists the means to develop further through programmes such as National Youth Dance Company; Young Associates; Wild Card; New Wave Associates; Associate Artists; Breakin’ Convention’s Professional Development programmes and through more informal support offered by staff.

Through the support network at Sadler’s Wells, artists can consolidate their practice, seek out innovative ideas and collaborations as well as develop and present new work on our stages.

Nurturing artists and audiences of the future

Sadler's Wells' learning and engagement activities take dance out into the community and invite communities into the theatre, generating over 34,000 attendances annually. Our schools programmes offer access to dance, both in and out of school. There are also opportunities for people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds to take part in high-quality productions and learning opportunities, on and off our stages. The renowned Company of Elders is our resident over-60s performance group, and our annual events range from pre and post-show talks with dance artists to classes, workshops and assisted performances. Find out more.

A new venue in east London

Sadler’s Wells is to open an additional mid-scale space in east London in 2022. Our new theatre building will be at the heart of a new cultural and education district in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, where we will sit alongside the BBC, UAL’s London College of Fashion, V&A and UCL. Find out more about Sadler’s Wells East here.

Read more about our theatres

Sadler's Wells is a registered UK charity. Whilst we receive 9% of our revenue from Arts Council England, we must raise the remaining 91% ourselves. The majority of our income is generated through ticket sales, complemented by commercial income from secondary spend and venue hire; and fundraising from individual donors, trusts and foundations and companies. Find out how to support us.


In line with government guidance, Sadler’s Wells continues to present performances to socially distanced audiences. Read more