National Youth Dance Company
Sadler's Wells is proud to be the host organisation for the National Youth Dance Company (NYDC). The company aims to create and perform innovative and influential dance, bringing together some of the brightest dance talent from across England to work with our internationally renowned Associate Artists.
The NYDC meet in school holidays to participate in four intensive weeks per year at Sadler's Wells and regional venues.
Throughout summer 2013, 12 NYDC Experience Workshops were held in 11 different regions across England. Thirty talented young people have been selected to form the second group of dancers in the National Youth Dance Company and are currently working with 2013-2014 Guest Artistic Director Akram Khan.
We are delighted to welcome Akram Khan as Artistic Director for NYDC this year. Akram is one of the most celebrated and respected dance artists today. In just over a decade he has created a body of work that has contributed significantly to the cultural arts in the UK and abroad. His reputation has been built on the success of imaginative, highly accessible and relevant productions such as DESH, iTMOi, Vertical Road, Gnosis and zero degrees. We cannot wait to see what he produces whilst working with NYDC.
What NYDC members get from the experience:
- Perform in world class venues
- Learn, create and perform original work
- Draw on different dance techniques including contemporary, street dance, ballet and South Asian dance
- Take part in intensive residencies over the school holidays; living and working as a company
- Collaborate with professional choreographers and companies
- Find out about career pathways and opportunities
- Take part in dancers toolbox sessions to enhance their studies and help equip them for the future
Watch last year's company performing (in between).
The inaugural performance of the National Youth Dance Company choreographed by 2013 Guest Artistic Director Jasmin Vardimon.